|Shortbread Cookies are Divine with Sparkling Wines and Champagnes|
Anyone still sticking to their New Year’s Resolutions is about to meet up with the most unavoidable temptation of the year: Girl Scout Cookies! All along California’s Central Coast and throughout Paso Robles Wine Country, the Girl Scouts are out in full force with an ample supply of those tasty little treats. Everyone has their favorite—Thin Mints®, Samosas®, Tagalongs®--so, it’s not a matter of which cookie you’re going to eat, but which wine to pair with it.
No need to worry, we’re happy to make a few recommendations—the first, of course, is to join the Paso Robles Wine Club, so you’ll always have a variety of award winning Central Coast wines on hand to enjoy whenever you’d like. Membership is free and we offer a variety of plans to suit both your palate and your pocketbook. Now, back to those cookies….
Most people don’t realize it, but Girl Scout Cookie have been around since the early 1900s. For the first few decades, the cookies were baked at home by the girls and their moms and the only cookie that was made was a traditional shortbread cookie, sometimes topped with a sprinkling of sugar. It wasn’t until decades later that the cookies were baked commercially and trucked all over the United States.
Thankfully, they’re everywhere now and you no longer have to wait weeks to get an order. You can find the Girl Scouts selling them right outside your local Paso Robles grocery store. So grab a few dozen boxes, pick up a few wines and host a Girl Scout Cookie and wine tasting.
Here’s our 5 favorite cookies and an idea of what to pair with them:
- Trefoils®: Based on the original recipe that started it all, these buttery shortbread cookies are perfect with a sparkling wine or Champagne.
- Thin Mints®: The perennial favorite—chocolate mint wafers covered in chocolate mint—goes well with Syrah, or a deep ruby Port.
- Samosas®: These popular toasted coconut, caramel and chocolate cookies are perfect with paired with a tawny Port or dessert wine.
- Tagalongs®: Peanut butter cookies drenched in chocolate are to die for when paired with a Syrah.
- Do-si-dos®: These delectable cookies feature a peanut buttery filling sandwiched between two perfectly round disks of oatmeal and peanut butter cookies.
Girl Scout Cookies are a seasonal treat and the money the Girl Scouts raise goes to help support their troops. So, go ahead and buy a few (dozen) boxes and enjoy them. You’ll have fun pairing them with good wines and sharing them with your friends and family—or, if you prefer, eating them all by yourself.