1 lb ground beef chuck 1 lb ground pork butt
½ cup fresh Italian bread crumbs, soaked in milk or water and torn into small pieces (dry, unseasoned bread crumbs will work too)
1 large egg, lightly beaten ⅓ cup ﬁnely grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
10-12 whole fresh basil leaves to serve 2 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 jar (24 oz) tomato pasta sauce (Prego Original Pasta Sauce is what I like to use in this recipe)
8 oz fresh mozzarella or bocconcini, drained and sliced (or 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese)
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Mix ground beef, pork, bread crumbs, egg, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, chopped oregano and basil in a large mixing bowl. Divide into 12 equal parts and shape into 12 balls.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch cast iron pan. Add the meatballs and cook over medium-high heat, turning, for about 5 minutes or until browned all over.
- Add the pasta sauce and bring it to the boil. Add the cheese.
- Transfer the pan into the oven. Bake at 425F convection or 450F regular, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through (reached internal temperature of 165F).
- Remove the pan from the oven. Garnish with the remaining whole basil leaves, sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper on top and serve immediately